Showcase the perfect way on how to cook beef steak with this Mexican-inspired dish that’s made even better with Asian elements of tamarind and coconut. And let’s not forget the healthy food addition: quinoa and kale!
- 300 g flank steak
- 3 medium tortillas, cut in half
Flank Steak Marinade:
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 6 g ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 g sugar
- 5 ml rice vinegar
Demi-Glace Tamarind Sauce:
- 30 g butter
- 5 g garlic, chopped
- 10 g onion, chopped
- 15 ml tamarind juice
- 3 g brown sugar
- 1 g salt
- 2 tbsp Knorr Demi-Glace, stir with 500 ml water
- 200 g quinoa
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 3 g Knorr Chicken Powder
- 400 ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200 g kale
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 g salt
1. Flank steak: Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade in a container, then add in the flank steak. Rub the mixture evenly on all parts of the meat, then let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
2. Grill steak until cooked to desired doneness for about 8 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to work surface, and let it rest for 10 minutes. Sliced steak thinly against grain.
3. Demi-Glace Tamarind Sauce: Heat butter, then sauté garlic, onions, and tamarind juice until fragrant. Add in water and Knorr Demi-Glace, then bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 2 minutes after.
4. Coconut Quinoa: Rinse the quinoa in a strainer under cold water until the water runs clear. Place the quinoa in a large saucepan, then add in the coconut milk, water, Knorr Chicken Powder and salt.
5. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Afterwards, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the outer casings on the quinoa have popped and it becomes a translucent colour.
6. Kale Chips: Preheat the oven to 135C. Remove the ribs from the kale leaves and cut into 4 cm pieces. Lay on the baking sheet and toss together in olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp for a total of about 20 minutes. Turn the leaves halfway through.
7. Plating: Pour the demi-glace tamarind sauce into a shot glass. Roll the tortilla into a cone and fill it with the flank steak and kale chips. Place the roll in the shot glass, and garnish with a cherry tomato slice.
This appetizer is also your chance to showcase how to cook quinoa in a unique and innovative way! The coconut adds a creaminess to it, making the dish a great way to incorporate healthy food in the menu.
You want to serve the best dishes at the highest standard. Knorr Chicken Powder helps you do that by delivering the purest gurih.
It’s a universal seasoning—you’ll only need a tiny pinch for an extraordinary punch of flavours. It’s made with 5X more meat** to give your dishes the extra gurih boost without masking their original flavours.
Use it on any cuisine. Enjoy the taste of pure chicken umami.
† Source: Brand Used Most Often in Hotel and Western Restaurant, TNS Research, March 2015
** vs. other chicken flavour seasoning variants in Indonesia