Baking is a healthy option to cooking this popular lean protein. Complemented with fragrant mushroom sauce and leek oil, this version is best served up hot and juicy from the oven.
Watch the Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Leek Oil recipe video
Everyone loves tender roasted chicken, especially when it’s accompanied by a delicious sauce. Here’s a tip that shows you why leek oil beautifully complements this dish.
Get a tip on why leek oil is ideal for this recipe!
Chef’s tips & techniques
- To make the leek oil, heat vegetable oil to 60°C, blend the green part of the leek with the oil, then cool down and use to garnish. Torch the leek for a nice roasted touch and improve presentation.
- “Burn” the shallots slightly for a nicer flavour and better look.
- To give your dish better presentation, use green and white mushrooms, more herbs and a black plate so the sauce and ingredients pop.
- You can replace green leeks with spring onion.
- For a little kick, add a dollop of mustard to the sauce.
- Nutritional tip: You may substitute crème fraiche with low fat cream.
- Chef Mark’s top tip: “Use chicken leg or thigh instead of other cuts like breast for the best taste and texture.”
Do I need to BBQ the chicken?
No, you can roast it in the oven or pan fry it.
What if I don’t have green leeks to make the oil?
You can use parsley or spinach, or even the green part of spring onions. Alternatively, you can use spring onion oil.
Can I use my oven?
Yes, as long as you keep the oven at 120°C.
What are other types of protein I can use with mushroom sauce?
Chicken can be swapped for a pork steak or veal cutlets.
- 3 whole chickens
- 30g vegetable oil
- 80g finely chopped shallots
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 250g anise mushrooms (or small white mushroom)
- 150g shiitake
- 100ml white wine
- 150ml prepared Knorr Demi Glace
- 200g crème fraiche
- Fresh herbs – chopped tarragon
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 250g green parts of young leek
- 10 pieces mini fennel
- 15 pieces red shallots
- 5 pieces young leek
- 30g butter
- 150ml chicken bouillon
- Season the chickens and BBQ or roast
- Remove the legs and divide the thigh from the drumstick
- Keep the legs for the sauce/stew
- Keep the fillets on the bone and bring to right level of doneness in the oven at 120°C
- Fry the shallots and garlic in vegetable oil
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce until ¼ is left
- Add Knorr Demi Glace and crème fraiche
- Bring to boil and season
- Add the chicken legs
- Simmer until the leg meat comes off the bone
- Take the chicken parts out of the sauce and keep warm
- Finish the sauce with a hand blender
- Fry the mushrooms and add them to the sauce
- Season and add the chopped tarragon
- Heat the oil to 60°C
- Clean and cut the green of the young leek
- Blend together and strain through a fine sieve
- Season and cool down
- Clean the fennel and blanch it, stew with some butter before serving
- Clean the young leek, then stew in chicken bouillon with some butter
- Half the red shallots and roast them with olive oil in a shallow pan
- Cut the chicken fillets from the bone and divide – ½ fillet per person
- Place the chicken fillet on the plate
- Put the leg part on top
- Place the prepared vegetables around the chicken
- Pour the sauce with the mushroom and tarragon over the chicken
- Garnish with the tarragon tops